Complete Capitulation – Chobham 17 vs 29 Twickenham

Complete Capitulation – Chobham 17 vs 29 Twickenham

Chobham, a team who have been improving week on week came up against Twickenham, a club they know well and were aware them and know they would be provide a very physical team. Sadly, on the day they lost the game themselves due to their poor discipline. The coaching team will need to ask some serious questions of the players mental approach to the game.

Chobham had three experienced returning faces to strengthen the squad, fullback Tommy Reed, Angus Hargan and Sam Goddard on the bench. From the kick off Chobham look organised and dominant at the breakdown until wing Joe Mousley dropped a garryowen and Twickenhams Polley collected it to score the opening try after 3 minutes, which was converted by the visitors’ man of the match Foster. The hosts composure and play was not helped with their lineout having zero effect, which carried on throughout the game. Losing over a dozen of your own set play lineouts was a huge contribution on the poor game for the Scarlett & Golds, giving the backs no set platform to play off.

After 10 minutes a huge downfield kick by the visitors Foster found touch as John Rumsey tried to stop it from going out. From the lineout Chobham won a scrum and were immediately penalised, setting Twickenham to allow the big running Smith to cross for another converted try! Finally, Chobham composed themselves and started to find the shape they have become known for. But sadly, the composure was not quite there and they squandered three opportunities.

Just after the quarter of the hour a penetrating run by Chobhams Josh Sheppard saw him score on the right wing.  The visitor’s Smith was the first to visit the sinbin for a third high tackle. The home teams discipline started to cost them though with Foster converting a penalty. With nearly half an hour gone a great run down the left wing saw Mousley open the scoring for the home team with a converted try. But the final say for the half went to Twickenham with another penalty, the half time score 20-12 to the visitors.

Straight from the restart Chobham attacked and after a well organised move that saw Rumsey go over, the try was adjudged as held up. From Twickenhams scrum, Chobham drove them off the ball for captain Guy Mawhood to score. A few minutes passed before the hosts gave away a pen at the maul, 5m out for Foster to add to his tally and 10 minutes later Mawhood kicking the ball away after a knock on saw another visitors penalty. Petulance was definitely the order of the day; 10 minutes were left when Hargan was accused of not releasing at the breakdown and decided to argue with the referee – only to be marched 10 meters to make it easier for Foster to get his final penalty of the day. Chobham had thrown a game away on the day, losing 29-17.

After the game assistant coach Robbie Kennard said “it was a bad day at the office, we let ourselves down badly and we lost to a team who didn’t actually challenge. Selection this week will ask a lot of questions of the squad. I’m disappointed with some of our players behaviour with the referee.

We had great performances from the back row players, Dan Warren, Magnus Barber, Sam Goddard, Max Sambrook and Justin Rowland – to lose Justin to a separated shoulder will be a big loss this season.

When we did get it right, we looked good, but when you don’t win set pieces it’s hard to build anything from that.”

Director of Rugby Harry Norman-Walker said “after building our performances over the last few games we just collapsed today, we let ourselves down by questioning the referees decisions. Every time we got in a threatening position our indiscipline let Twickenham exit or even score. The 5 penalties we gave away was the difference between the two teams, not winning any lineouts didn’t help either!! Our scrums worked well, but I have to question how we were penalised so often when we were such a dominant scrum.”

Harry Norman-Walker
Director of Rugby

Stay Connected

More Updates